Summer is here, which means we can all try out new nail designs with pretty pastel colours and bright neon ones, to see what we like best. So obviously there is nothing worse than getting out your fave bottle of nail polish and finding it to be a sticky and goopy consistency. Even worse is when it starts to chip only a few hours later.
This happens all the time, so I thought I would share some easy, yet effective ways to make your nail polish last longer.
1) Don’t store your nail polishes in a random box or on your shelves. By doing so the bottles will not be stored upright and the lacquer will move around the bottle. This will cause air bubbles to appear in the lacquer and thus create the thick and sticky consistency, which we so don’t want.
2) Do apply a base coat and top coat after using the nail colour of your choice. The base coat will help protect your nail and create a smooth surface for your nail colour to be applied to. The top coat will seal in the colour or the design and will prevent chipping, or at least make the chipping process take some extra time. 🙂
3) Don’t use nail polish remover to thin your nail polish. Many nail varnish removers actually contain acetone that can break down the formula of your lacquer and this ruins it.
4) Do use thinner drops, as they are specifically made to thin your nail polish and really do thin the formula.
5) Don’t shake your nail polish to loosen the formula. This is just like the like the first point, where air bubbles will form. Just roll the bottle in the palm of your hands to warm up the polish.
6) As an extra added tip… Don’t apply the nail polish to your cuticles. Try to keep the polish a bit away from the cuticles, to keep them healthy.